The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, August 2, 2012

First Purchases of the National

This year I was going to be smart.  I started looking for the autographs I needed with a comprehensive list, unlike two years ago.  I even started taking notes as to what dealer had what.  I was not rash and just pulling out cards and buying anything.

Hell.  I haven't even seen a third of the tables.  I was able to pick up these two very different cards, from very different dealers.

Jose Leon 2001 Royal Rookies #14
It may not look it on the surface, but this is indeed an Orioles card.  It says so on the back.  It may not be licensed, but it counts.  This is an upgrade from a 2000 Bowman card I traded for a while back.  I thought about waiting until I could check other tables, but for $3, I had to make a move.  I am very happy I did.

Ozzie Virgil 1962 Topps #327
I have tried Mr. Virgil multiple times TTM and at multiple locations.  One in the U.S. and one in the Virgin Islands.  My cards haven't been returned, but I am not confident I will ever see them again.  I almost passed up on this card because I couldn't tell it was an Orioles card.  The whole thing is nondescript and easily overlooked.  Again only a few bucks.  I will be back to this table later to pick up a few old timers unless they show up as Orioles elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment