The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Pleasant Surprise

In preparing for my in person autographing of last week, I bought up base cards from Sports Buy and Sport Lots. I wish the sites could somehow join and give me the features I like about both. SportsBuy allows you to search by seller so you can save on shipping. Saving in this area is a must because of their higher shipping costs. SportLots is cheaper as far as shipping goes but more difficult to navigate when purchasing. One site needs to sell out to the other, for my sake.

Back to the point. I found a bunch of base cards I needed from a seller and saw he had an Eider Torres certified autograph as an Oriole. The price was right and the shipping was free so now he is done in my book. I have a 2003 Bowman autograph as a Cleveland Indian now available if anyone is interested.

Eider Torres 2008 Sp Authentic Autograph #170

Torres made his major league debut April 26, 2008 and played his last major league game two weeks later. In eight games he batted nine times with only two singles. He spent the rest of the season in the minors before being released. He has bounced around a bit and is currently in the Colorado Rockies organization hoping to extend his big league career.

The surprise was a Ryan McGuire card I bought to try and have him sign. Someone beat me to the punch.

Ryan McGuire 1993 Classic 4 Sport #288

McGuire's stint in Baltimore was twice as long as Torres', but ended with the same amount of hits, two. The 2002 season in Baltimore marked the final major league season for McGuire and he called it quits for good after 2003. He ended his career with a .287 lifetime average in the minors, but only .211 in the bigs. His short time here wasn't long enough to have cards produced so this minor issue will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment