The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Find of the National

Any collector trying to put together a vintage signed set from 1958-66, or Orioles, Angels and Senators comprehensive collections realize how difficult Albie Pearson is to track down. He's denied me twice through the mail and I will no longer waste my stamps. I am still going to try for him on a Crown card but know I will have to pay his private signing fee, so will wait until next time. So you can imagine my surprise when looking through autographs at the National, I came across this bad boy.

Albie Pearson 1986 Angels Greats TCMA #6

Pearson was a diminutive 5-foot-5, but didn't let that stop him from winning the 1958 Rookie of the Year for the Washington Senators. He was traded to the Orioles after 25 games on the '59 season, posting the worst numbers of his career. His first full season in Baltimore was slightly better but also his last. He was a fourth round expansion selection of the Los Angeles/California Angels in 1961. He made his lone All-Star appearance as an Angel in 1963 before chronic back issues ended his career in '66.

Post-baseball, he has become an ordained minister and focused his philanthropic efforts on the less fortunate. What about the unfortunate autograph collector?

No comments:

Post a Comment