The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Adding Corey Patterson

With his second tour of duty came more opportunities to add Corey to my Collection. I tried him TTM in Norfolk coming out of spring training, to no avail. Once he was recalled to the big leagues I tried him there as well. No luck. Even when I went to the park I was denied another opportunity to get his graph.

He has a bunch of signed cards available but few as an Oriole. When I tracked down one I could use with no need to upgrade, I snatched it up. I gave up a Vinny Rottino auto I received in a blind trade. Score.

Corey Patterson 2008 Topps #487

It is striking how different his autograph for a fan and signature for Topps differ so greatly. Apparently he takes alittle extra time when signing his name on contracts, or whatever they use for their fascimile signatures.

On the field, Patterson must like the water or crabcakes in Baltimore because his career numbers are significantly higher as an Oriole. He's stolen more bases in more bases in his three seasons here than six while a cub, and his average is more than 20 points higher. Unfortunately for us, he is not a great lead-off guy, which we desperately needed when Roberts was out this year. He is now a platoon guy that can give a good boost when out strong outfield gets a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment