The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Friday, August 13, 2010

Orioles Haul

Only spending one day at the National and paying to stand in line for graphs limited my table shopping. I was a one stop shopper finding all my needs from one vendor. Unfortunately I missed a few other guys with a little more Orioles schwag. Four of the autos I picked up feature an Orioles unifrom and only one is permanent. But for what it's worth, one's deceased and two don't sign much.

Don Baylor 1976 Hostess #118

Most of us young guys know Baylor from managing the Colorado Rockies and Chicago Cubs, but people a few years our elder know a different man. Baylor was a masher who loved to crush the ball and crowd the plate. Before Craig Biggio crowded his way to number one, Baylor was stading alone as the modern day beanball king. It is also rumored that Baylor once hit a ball so hard it tipped off the third baseman's glove and went over the left field wall for a home run. Anyone can do that.

Todd Frohwirth 1993 Donruss # 513

I blame Todd Frohwirth for single handedly destroying my elbow. Every time I saw his submarine delivery I couldn't help but try and hurt myself emulating his throwing motion. I still do it when warming up for softball each wekk. I will never learn. Aside from the unorthodox delivery, Todd was a horse. He appeared in 51, 65 and 70 games in his three seasons in Baltimore, all the while posting a 2.71 ERA. His career lasted nine seasons, I'm wondering if his style had anything to do with that. He is currently a scout for our hometown team.

John Habyan 1988 Fleer Eror #562

Habyan quietly put together a solid big league career, spanning 11 seasons and six different teams. He was drafted by the O's in 1982 and made his debut during the 1985 season. He stayed withthe team until '88, then bounced around until retiring in '96. Naturally he started coaching when his playing career ended. He is curenly a coach and the head pitching instructor for Ripken Baseball

Elrod Hendricks 1976 Topps #371

Ellie? It's amazing how a mans name changes as he gets older. I knew the man as Elrod, the stoic bullpen coach I always said hi to when I came to the park. He was a fixture at Camden Yards, a pressence I still miss when I visit there.

1 comment: