The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Edition

Sorry guys, this post is not devoted to Bobby Brown, Michael Bivens, Ricky Bell, Ralph Tresvant and Ronnie DeVoe, of early 80's R&B fame, but to my latest autograph editions. I apologize for getting your hopes up.

Until this week I had been suffering through a substantial drought of TTM successes, none in 2010. That was until Mr. Postman brought me two "New Editions" this weekend.

Bob Bailor 1991 Orioles Crown #14

You just have to love the 70's. This is perhaps the sweetest example of facial hair/chops/sideburns I have seen featured on a baseball card. If you have any documentation of better I would be very impressed. I am really enamored by this card and how well it represents a specific era in our culture.

Aside from awesome facial landscaping, Bailor played a little ball as well. He had an 11 year major league career with four different clubs, starting his career in Baltimore. He found ole B'more a tough infield to crack playing behind Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger and Bobby Grich. He only played 14 games here before finding a starting role to our North in expansion Toronto. I'm sure many people will remember him for his playing and managing, but I for one will remember his chops. His mutton chops.

Dallas Williams 1991 Orioles Crown #485

Dallas was the Orioles' first-round selection in 1976 and made his debut in 1981. He played in a mere two games for the Orioles, only batting in one, going 1 for 2. These two games were all Dallas saw as an Oriole before being traded to Cincinnati in 1983. His major league playing career was short-lived, never sniffing the bigs again after the '83 season. Continuing the trend of players turned manager, Dallas has spent his time since 1989 coaching and managing at the Major League and Minor League levels.

Both requests were sent out just after New Years and received around the 15th, a very quick turn-around. All told, I have sent about 30 requests this year, so hopefully the returns will start to roll in.

Current Collection Statistics:
Orioles Crown Autographs 167/501 Total = 33.33%
Orioles Crown Autographs 166/390 Alive = 42.56%

Total Orioles Autographs 324/881 = 36.77%

2 comments:

  1. You forgot Johnny Gill. I was totally looking for something about him in that post. The mailman will be visiting you soon...I am mailing a small pile of autos to you tomorrow. The Al Jackson is on a postcard wrapped in cardboard-be careful opening that one. I have to apologize in advance, I sealed the package without including my own signature...oh well, maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Gill was a late edition to new edition, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the care package, I will be sure to give you a shout out when it arrives. Thanks Ghetto

    ReplyDelete