The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Couple of New Pick-ups From the "Ghetto"

Do you have one of those friends who has such a great nickname you can't remember their real name? Or you just choose not to use it even though adulthood is in full effect? I have one of those, Ghetto.

Ghetto is a huge sports fan, focusing on the Orioles, Phillies, Cowboys and Nike paraphanelia. We have been dealing back and forth for years on credit, filling needs as necessary, knowing we would be repaid eventually. Today was my eventually.

Aside from having a great name he also has a pretty good collection, some of which he sent to me today.

Ken Dixon 1987 Donruss #171

Perfect timing. Last week I received a return to sender envelope from Mr. Dixon. This was my second attempt and second failure, so I wasn't sure if it would happen TTM. No more wasted stamps and no more waiting. In a nice little twist, Dixon is also going to appear at FanFest on Saturday and I am hoping to double up with his 1991 Crown card.

Juan Guzman 2000 Topps Traded Autographs #TTA-74

Same name. Same position. Same organization. Same time frame. Wrong Juan Guzman. This Juan Ramon Guzman never played in a game as an Oriole, just stayed in the minors. He was a converted catcher who never cracked the bigs and won't crack the main collection either. He will be relegated to the minor league portion, waiting for the big-timer to show.

Al Jackson 1989 Baltimore Orioles Postcards #14

Jackson broke into basbeall with the Mets before bouncing around to the Cardinals, Reds and Mets again. His playing career never touched down in Baltimore but he spent time here as a coach. Is it just me or does he look pissed? Not a happy guy.

Bob Melvin 1991 Upper Deck #310

Known more for his defense than offense, Melvin spent three season behind the plate in Baltimore. He then went on to play for four teams over the next four seasons before calling it quits. A little irony. When researching his stats, the header was his 1991 Upper Deck card signed. Eerie isn't it?

Brooks Robinson 1976 Topps #95

I know its a Hall of Famer autograph, but I was expecting more from his signature. It's gigantic, but it's Brooksie. Welcome to the collection.

Earl Weaver 1987 Topps #568

The second HOFer of the day and a stark contrast to Brooks. This is a great looking auto and the 87 Topps set really pops. I can certainly see why so many people go after the complete set.

I am extremely happy with these additions.

And now for the most worthless autograph in my collection.


There's your shout-out, you better savor it.

1 comment:

  1. Always my pleasure to help you out my friend! I also have a 2009 T206 Koji Uehara that I would be willing to trade, just let me know. My dad had the three Robinsons and I told him to send me the best one to give to you. Brooks loves to sign big. I have a cut signature of his which only has his first name because of how big it is!

    By the way, the Ghetto auto is an unnumbered 1/1

    ReplyDelete