The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bringing Home a Baker

Frank Baker was the first TTM success from my last batch of 3o requests. I picked up a couple Crown sets to make up for misses I have had and those holes should start to fill in shortly. Bakers success came back in only nine days, all the way from Mississippi.

Frank Baker 1991 Orioles Crown #17

Baker was selected by the New York Yankees in the second round of the 1967 amateur draft. Three years later he was a big leaguer, appearing in 35 games and posting the best numbers of his career. Unfortunately they weren't great. 1971 was again spent in New York before being traded to the Orioles for Tommy Matchick. The change of scenery did not improve his numbers, but did allow Baker to see the postseason. He made two appearances against the Athletics in 1973 and 1974, never recording an at-bat. Following the '74 post season, Baker hung up the spikes, returning home to Mississippi to answer autograph requests of die-hard fans like myself.

4 comments:

  1. Wow man, congrats on getting Baker TTM. He's only a 34% signer according to SCN. If you don't mind my asking, did you have to send a fee to get him to sign?

    I really look forward to hearing who else you have success with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need Baker too! I sent to him in 2008 and 2009 (with $5 cash) and neither one came back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't send any money, I guess I just got lucky, and in 9 days. I'm really happy about this one now.

    I used a P.O. Box address I had for him in Mississippi. If you need it let me know and I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to get Frank Baker's autograph in 1974 at a Oriole home game promotional event back then called picture day I think. Fans would arrive early before the game, line up and get assigned a player. Frank Baker was the player I was in line for. I got my photo taken with him and his autograph. The upshot is I still have it and it's still in great condition.

    ReplyDelete