The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Spring Training Success

It took me 90 days to get back my first success from Spring Training, but it was well worth it. I used some resources on SportsGraphing.com to track down Enos Cabell. He had been a streaky signer from his home address over the last few years so I decided to switch it up.

I sent to Enos through the Houston Astros where he is listed as a Special Assistant to the General Manager. I am not sure what this position entails but he is in good company, listed alongside Craig Biggio, Doug Brocail and Jose Cruz. Regardless of what he does for the Astros, he signs TTM at work.

Enos Cabell 1991 Orioles Crown #68

Enos was drafted by the Birds in 1968 and started tearing up the minors. His big league debut came in mid-September, 1972. During the 1973 and 1974 campaigns he was used sparingly by the Orioles and was traded to the Astros following the '74 season. The change of scenery did him well. His best years were in Houston during the late 70's. He bounced around during the 80's, spending time with Detroit, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston again, before retiring in 1986.

The Astros must hold a lot of good memories for Cabell as he has stayed close to the team since his retirement. He was an analyst for the Astros televised home games from 91-94 andn even hosted a Sports Talk Radio program until 1996. He has been in his current role since 2004.

I appreciate the time he took from talent evaluation and everything else he does to help grow my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment