The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Friday, September 3, 2010

Oh Brother

My family got together last month for a few birthdays and I did exactly what anyone would do, scoured a couple hundred autographs for Orioles I need. My brother was so kind to help my alienation.

It was quick going because a lot of the cards were from team sets I couldn't break up, so didn't even need to look. I was able to pick up a few graphs I needed and another upgrade.

Mike Gonzalez 2003 Leaf #213
I still need Gonzalez on a 2010 Orioles card but definitely needed to upgrade my smeared IP graph from this season. Injury derailed his season and he has been nothing but gracious in how he has handled the entire situation. Being brought in as the sole closer, he has had to deal with that roster spot being filled. Players and coaches alike have called him a team player and applauded his efforts in the clubhouse and the pen. I am hoping he stays around and may be able to sure up our bullpen next year.

Luis Terrero 2001 Bowman #151

Terrero has achieved much greater success in the minors than the major leagues. His average is almost 60 points higher in the minors, explaining why he has only enjoyed 5 seasons in the bigs. His 27 games in Baltimore were uneventful, hitting .200 with one home run and six RBI's. He popped up with the Chicago White Sox again in 2007 but has never sustained a spot. He is currently in the Cincinnati Reds organization, hoping for a chance to crack the September roster.

Jack Voigt 1994 Fleer #23

His most successful season was also his first in 1993. He had career highs in all offensive categories while playing in 64 games for the Birds. After his playing career ended he made the natural transition to coaching. He came back to the organization that started it all in 2001 as Field Coach for the Frederick Keys. The following year was his first as a manager for the Keys and last in the organization. Currently he coaches with former Oriole Ricky Bones with the Buffalo Bison.

No comments:

Post a Comment