The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Long Time Coming

I have received two successes thus far this week, one taking a little more than a week and the other pre-dating my tracking system I started in January. The lengthy return was most likely sent in November of last year, eclipsing 200 days away from home

Joe Price 1991 Orioles Crown #370
He is a very good signed and this one took just more than a week. Price played his only season in Baltimore, and final season professionally, in 1990 appearing in 50 games as a reliever. Before Baltimore he spent the bulk of his career with the Cincinnati Reds, and brief stints with the San Francisco Giants and Boston Red Sox. He posted a strong ERA (3.58) here, per usual, ending his career with a 3.65 mark. This card is an upgrade, bumping his 1991 Topps card to the available list.

Don Welchel 1991 Orioles Crown #477

Welchel was in the bigs for what most would call a "cup of coffee", 13 games spanning the 1982 and 1983 seasons. Don was not a member of the World Series Championship team of 1983, although 11 of his games came that season. His first appearance garnered him a win, the only one of his career. He toiled in the Oriole minor league system until 1985 before bouncing to the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals organizations. His minor league numbers were solid, just not enough to keep him up with a big club. He retired from baseball after the 1988 season. If my 200+ days is accurate, I should count my blessings, another collector had to wait almost three years for one of his signatures, and it wasn't even an Oriole card.

1 comment:

  1. Potz- You got lucky with Price, I got mine back recently too, but it took 215 days for the return. Seems like he signs all his fan mail once or twice a year.

    And I got a Welchel back yesterday too, I don't even know when I sent it, and agree that we seem to be lucky with him. I saw another collector on SCN that just got one back in 1199 days! Unfortunately, he signed mine half on the sleeve and half on the card, so I'm a little disappointed but can't really complain. I stopped sending sleeves to avoid this, so I know it's an old request.

    ReplyDelete