The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 Orioles FanFest: Auto Station 1

 
The debacle of buying Autograph Vouchers left me with a sour taste in my mouth and two tickets to the 12:40 sessions with Jim Palmer, Taylor Teagarden and Kevin Gausman.  I was unable to secure help for the session and got to the line early anticipating needing to make two passes through the line.

Standing in line I naturally struck up conversation with people around me and noticed a guy putting away a T.J. McFarland postcard from his first session.  I asked if he had an extra, he did not.  But he had no need for it and traded it to me for a few base cards of Troy Patton, Jake Arrieta and Nolan Reimold.  That's a win.

T.J. McFarland 2013 Orioles FanFest Postcard
 
McFarland was selected in the Rule 5 Draft from the Cleveland Indians and will be getting a look in the rotation come Spring Training. Worst case, the bullpen will be calling his name, making this a quick name to cross off the list, hopefully.
 
Waiting in line I saw a hulk of a man hanging out by the entrance to my station.  I sent this his way:
 
Anyone know who it is?
 
Once the line started moving, the Voucher Gods decided to have some fun with me. The elderly gentleman working the scanner was having trouble with my vouchers. For 10 minutes. The line was held up eventually he sent me to a supervisor on the other side of the world. That supervisor then walked me directly back where I started to manually type in the serial number. Rocket Science I tell ya.

I eventually got in with both vouchers and was able to score these:
 
Kevin Gausman 2011 Topps USA #7
Kevin Gausman 2013 Orioles Postcard
Gausman's handler tried to deny me a signed postcard once I handed him the USA card but was swayed by both of my vouchers.  Kevins was a nice kid, personable but not chatty.  I am expecting his name to be crossed off my list sometime this season.  Much like Bundy, his stuff is plus, but with two years at LSU under his belt, his rise should be a little quicker.
 
The USA card is available for anyone in need and the postcard will be making its way into the collection.
 
Jim Palmer Orioles Postcard
 
Jim Palmer 2012 Topps Golden Moments #GM27
Jim Palmer was in his greatest mood, ever.  I am not just saying that because he smiled during the signing, but he was talking with every fan, Taylor Teagarden and was also handing out his signed postcard.  Before even saying "Hello" he thrust a postcard in my hand which I quickly accepted.  Then handed my two cards for my vouchers.  He too tried to sign just one, but also lamented when I showed him both tickets.  We exchanged pleasantries and I was off, a completely different Jim Palmer experience than this one.
 
A second signed card went to Craig for help at a later session, more on that later.  Both of the Palmers are available for trade if anyone is interested.
 
Taylor Teagarden 2010 Topps #346
 
Taylor Teagarden 2013 Orioles Postcard
 Not much to say about Teagarden.  Solid guy.  Willing to sign anything given him and nice doing it.  The postcard was pre-signed so black had to suffice.  Normally blue is it for me, but I like this photo better than last year, so I do have last years available, as well as the Topps cards.
 
Still more to come as I had to kill 3 hours before the final session, stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried to get Palmer's sig, but I've been to enough FanFests that I nearly fell out of my chair reading about a friendly and accessible Cakes.

    Didn't get to FanFest this year, so I'm enjoying hearing about all that went on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Event though you've had some issues, it still seems like an organized event.

    The Jim Palmer Golden Moments looks amazing! I met Palmer for the first time last weekend at a Scouts dinner in Beverly Hills. He's such a nice guy and signed everything put in front of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guy who signed the autograph card looks like Ryan Minor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan Minor is correct. He was just hanging out by the entrance to my line and I had to try. I on't think anyone else noticed, recognized him, or cared to approach for an auto. More for me.

    ReplyDelete