The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Cherry on Top

eBay is a dangerous place but when coupled with a PayPal account with funds, watch out. Trigger happy is putting it gently. I have been making up for lost time on eBay, picking up a wide variety of cards. The one that is still leaving me scratching my head is this one:

Rocky Cherry 2007 Exquisite Collection Rookie Signatures #129

I blame Beckett for this one. When I was researching available cards of Cherry on Beckett, they listed no cards for him as an Oriole. O.K. Not a problem. A guy with 18 Oriole appearances and a 7.02 ERA doesn't usually get his mug on a lot of cardboard.

But as you can clearly see in the scan, Beckett was incorrect. he is even pictured in an Orioles cap on the back. Photoshop may be the ultimate villain here, creating a card of Cherry as an Oriole from a Cubs version. Looks like Beckett never got the memo.

When I saw this on eBay, I jumped. I just let the bidding devil take over and before I knew it, it was mine. I didn't pay much for it, that isn;t the problem. The problem is my impulse to snag it. There are so many autographs out on eBay right now that I can use for my collection, upgrades should not be my focus. Especially if I am buying it, not trading for it.

I wonder how many other players have their team information misrepresented on Beckett?

2 comments:

  1. I know there are a few Orioles in this boat, but the main one that put a snag in my collection was that Matt Nokes DOES have an Orioles card, contrary to Beckett's assessment. They are clearly wrong as his '95 Pinnacle card is blatantly and obviously an O's card, definitely not a photoshop job. I rambled on about it in this post. http://greatoriolesautographproject.blogspot.com/2010/09/matt-nokes-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nokes would have gotten me all mixed up, but I had one of his Pinnacle cards in my collection when I started. Now all I have to do is get him to sign one.

    ReplyDelete