The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year, New Orioles

December was a busy month for me. Not with collecting unfortunately, but with life. The holidays are always crazy and work had drained me mentally. When I came home from work, vegging out in front of the boob tube was all I could do, and my collection has suffered slightly.

With the new year has come a renewed vigor of collecting. I am sending out a bunch of TTM requests this weekend and have also received a few additions over the last month.

Dave Skaggs 1991 Orioles Crown #423

Skaggs played 4 of his 5 major league seasons in Baltimore sharing time behind the plate with fan favorite Rick Dempsey. He was drafted in 1969 and spent the next 8 seasons working his way to the majors. His debut came in 1977, cementing his place on a major league roster. His bat never came alive but he could hold his own behind the plate. His largest distinction may be as the last Oriole before Cal Ripken Jr. to wear the #8.

Kelly Paris 1991 Orioles Crown #353

Paris played on 4 big league teams from 1982-1988, only spending multiple seasons in Baltimore. He was a shortstop and third baseman, but never saw any time here at shortstop because of Cal. As an Oriole in 1985 he failed to reach base in 9 attempts but was recalled in 1986, but fared only marginally better. His last big league season was in '88 as a member of the White Sox recording the only 3 home runs of his career. He played his final professional season in '89 in AAA before retiring.

Both of my successes came in about 4 months, receiving Skaggs before the New Year and Paris, shortly after.

3 comments:

  1. Nice additions to start the new year. I stopped sending out letters for awhile because of the holidays, and I really need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got my return back from Paris too. I need to send something out to Skaggs now that he seems to be signing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the guys I need are difficult to get TTM, but I have just sent them out anyway. Worst it costs me is $.88. Then I know to go for private signings, public signings or trading. Every once in a while you can catch lightning in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete