The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Uncertain Portion of the Program

My curiosity got the best of me again and turned into possibly the best "deal" of my National visit.  I stumbled upon Parkway Pastimes  when I heard a gentleman ask about a game used Washington Senators jersey.  I wanted to see how much and who the player was.  I quickly forgot why I was standing in front of their booth when I looked down and found autographs.

Parkway Pastimes does not do a whole lot of baseball card or postcard autographs, mainly dealing with game used memorabilia.  But, because they mainly do local merchandise, I found a few gems for my collection.

Doyle Alexander 1970's Orioles Postcard
When I saw Doyle first, I thought "Score".  Diamond in the rough.  But as I started to unearth other difficult players I grew slightly skeptical, but pushed forward with my purchase.

Chuck McElroy 2001 Orioles Postcard
Chuck has a great gatekeeper with Ripken Baseball.  She declines any attempt at an autograph with a form letter from Cal, even if you send to McElroy.  Pretty funny.  As for his short stint with the Orioles, this is the only photographic proof.  I had only seen one other postcard of his, but never had an opportunity to add one of any kind.  I am a big fan of this one.

Willy Miranda Index Card
This signature scared the shit out of me.  I looked at my list to cross Willy Miranda off, and Willie Miranda was looking back at me.  The one vintage card I have of his lists him as Willie.  These were not comforting at all.  That was until I checked a few examples of his signature.  Spot on.  Awesome.

Andres Mora Orioles Postcard
When I asked the price on this beauty, I had to suppress a grin.  Mora is not much of a signer, mainly because he lives in Mexico.  The mail is not nearly as reliable as in the U.S. so TTM requests are out.  He also doesn't make appearances.  That all equals a very difficult autograph to track down.  I was expecting to pay near what I did for the entire lot for this one postcards.  I call that a big win.

Joe Taylor Index Card

Not much to say about this index card, beside, it is totally awesome.  On all fronts.

I verified each autograph with examples online and am confident they are all legit.

No comments:

Post a Comment