The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Orioles Autograph Index

This year at the National there seemed more autograph guys than as two years ago.  Maybe it was that I was only really looking for one day in 2010 and four in 2012.  Regardless, I had 4 different pages of notes on which booth had cards I needed, which cards and pricing.  I was then able to decide on best pricing and what vendor had the best options.

Saturday, my final day, was when I started making moves, and lots of em.  I had spent a good hour with ??????? going over his lists of cut signature and index cards.  He was organized, which I love, and was offering 30% off, which I needed.

All in all I knocked eight more names off the list.  It would have been 13, but my diligence allowed me to find signed cards at similar pricing.  My haul in alphabetical order.

Cal Abrams Orioles 1954-1955 D.1997

Frank Bertania 1964-1967 D.2010 

Sam Bowens Orioles 1963-1967 D.2003

 I love the detail of the autograph index cards that were used in the 1960's.  Received in 1966 and for only 4 cents.  That's a pretty sweet deal.  Then you add all the detail of the collector and dealer notes and it makes for a great piece.  I had a few to choose from and went with this one because of the address portion.

Bob Chakales Orioles 1954 D.2010

Whitey Lockman Orioles 1959 D.2009


Norm Siebern Orioles 1964-1965



Gordie Sundin Orioles 1956
Sundin has the distinction of being the only Oriole pitcher I have come across to never record an out in his entire career.  He also never allowed a hit.  He walked two batters in his appearance, one of which scored. He has an infinite career ERA and never made it back to the big leagues.  I have tried him before TTM to no avail, but I wanted to try again on a Crown card.  Either way, I love his story, kinda like a Moonlight Graham, but with the infinite ERA thing.

 Bill Wight Orioles 1955-1957 D.2007
Many of these players were also available on eBay but I didn't want to take a chance.  Many of the prices are too good to be true and who knows what you are actually getting.  This way I was able to get my items from a reputable dealer, willing to put himself amongst a thousand experts.  I definitely trust these signatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment