The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Fruits of My Labor

In person autograph seekers at the National were constantly standing around on the hard concrete floor, waiting.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.  It really takes a toll on the knees and feet when you do it for four days.

My time in line would have been significantly greater had it not been for my Connecticut benefactors.  We met the first day at the VIP reception and always seemed to meet up at the autograph pavilion.  A fourth collector was at the reception with us, but left the convention after one day.  He left his "All Access" pass and I was more than happy to use it.

When I left for good on Saturday, they told me to have my brother call them and he too could use the pass.  Just really nice guys.  And of course I am a jackass to never get their names.

Here is what they helped me get quickly today.

John Montefusco "The Count" 1975 N.L. ROY Ball

 John Montefusco "The Count" No-Hitter 9-29-76  8x10
 The Montefusco ball will be making its way to Wicked at The Cardboard Don.  The 8x10 I got because I was already in line and had a ticket.  I had decided to put it on eBay before I met "The Count".  Now I am not so sure.

George Starke 1980 Topps #214
The "Head Hog" played before my fascination with the Redskins came into play. I was however a huge fan of his legacy. The Redskins and the Hogs put faces and names to offensive linemen, a traditionally under appreciated position. Since I am only going to try for Redskins who played since I was born these cards are about as far back as I will go.

Dwight "Doc" Gooden Yankees 8x10

 Dwight "Doc" Gooden Yankees "No Hitter 5-14-96" Yankees 8x10
My intention was to get either a baseball or a Mets 8x10 signed.  That went to hell when Steiner had a lot more volume than they anticipated.  Doc signed for anyone who purchased an item for him to sign.  He was not signing any outside items and by the time I got to him, these were all that were left.  I am happy with how they both turned out and will definitely be letting these go.  I think the world may end if I had pinstripes hanging in my basement.

If anyone is looking to add a No Hitter signed 8x10 to their collection, just let me know.  I know a guy.




No comments:

Post a Comment