The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Manley Portion of the National

Many of this years autograph guests I took a pass on.  Each VIP Oriole I have multiples of, so my I switched my focus to the Redskins.  Five different Skins will be at the National this year and first up, the original "Beast Mode", Dexter Manley.

I was afraid of Dexter Manley when I was a kid.  And that was only having seen him on T.V.  He just seemed so damned violent and as an eight year old, it was terrifying.  And that is why I love him today.  He personified what I now appreciate in my football players, I was just too young to really appreciate it.

Evidence.

Dexter Manley 1984 Topps #383
He should have been allowed to play without a helmet.  I would have allowed him to sack the QB, would not have stood in his way.

 Dexter Manley 1983 Topps #191

Dexter Manley 1988 Topps #20

Aside from being a beast, Dexter was as nice as could be.  There were a lot of items with pre-existing signatures and each time, Dexter asked who they were.  He seemed interested and excited to hear about his teammates that had already signed.

Here is the gentle giant.


I will be keeping the "mohawk" card for my collection and my brother is taking one of the others.  Not sure but it may be available if their is interest, just don't know which one.


No comments:

Post a Comment