The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Friday, July 27, 2012

See What You Started 1987 Topps

Fuji-san was asked:

How did you first decide to collect sports cards, and when?

And I answered.

I started following baseball in 1985 when I went to a game with my Dad and was hooked.  No doubt about it, baseball was it for me.  So much so I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 10 because all I wanted to do was play "catch" with my old man.

I didn't collect cards at all in '85 or '86, but 1987 changed the game.  Hands down the best design, ever.

I don't know the particulars, but I am guessing my brother and I got a box from Schviate Nikolai (Ukrainian Santa Claus) to split.  There was no turning back.  I shortly thereafter got my first newspaper route and first paycheck at the age of seven.  I had to buy cards and my parents weren't fans of an allowance.  My brother and I also started our own business cutting grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow.  We had our own fliers and business cards, all to buy wax.

I completed my 1987 Topps set at some point, although I no longer have it.  Unfortunately I am a collector who can cut and run.  When my wants change, everything I have collected before is fair game.  That's why I have done this.

No comments:

Post a Comment