The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nicely Done Upper Deck!

Why isn't there a sarcasm font? A few of you probably thought I had a major hit from an Upper Deck product. Or maybe the company fixed an issue. Nope, they blew it.

Exhibit A:
Luis Aparicio 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Black Ink /99 #LA

Yes, that is actually a signature on there. And no, it was no signed during his rookie campaign in 1956. According to the card back, it was "signed in the presence of a company representative and/or sent from, and certified as to its authenticity by, Luis Aparicio". Black ink? Not sure about that one either. In person the gold stitches match the signature. I don't have too many Sweet Spot Autos in my collection anymore, is this fading common?

But I am the one to blame for its addition to the collection. I just swapped autographs with William, mastermind behind Foul Bunt. He reached out because he couldn't stand the sight of this card anymore and I was happy to take it. I hadn't picked up an Aparicio yet, his Oriole versions are more scarce and all it took was Nolan Reimold. I did trade my personal collection Reimold for it, but I had a backup. Anyway, with my season tickets I am hoping to coax a signature out of Mr. Reimold sometime this season.

William, thanks again for the trade. Hope to see you at FanFest.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the card. You are right, it makes me mad about how they crapped the bed on the sig. My Ripken/Boggs dual signature from the same product looks equally as bad, and it was a redemption... I'll send you a scan of that one sometime if you remind me...

    I definitely hope to trade again with you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've seen they all are doing it I have a Tony Perez in my HOFer collection that looks like s#$&.

    ReplyDelete