The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Taking Matters Into My Own Sharpie

I'm sick and tired of no autographs coming in that I had to do something about it. Last night I checked online and saw a signing for former outfielder/designated hitter Larry Sheets at a local bar that I could actually attend.

So many appearances for players I need have been happening during the day, and us in the work force are left out in the heat with sharpies and blank cards. Today was not one of those days. I walked into Hightopps Backstage Grille and was caught off-guard by Larry sitting at the entrance to the bar. My cards were still in their case and I was unarmed.

I didn't want to be that guy that just walked up to the table, got sigs, and bolted, so I saddled up to the bar and grabbed a beer. While I was there, the only person to grab a graph worked at the restaurant. That doesn't count.

When I walked to Mr. Sheets he was first very personable, but when I asked him to sign my Crown card in blue sharpie he shut down and didn't say anything else. He did however, sign all three cards I had plus a postcard, so that'll work.

The Freebie
Larry Sheets Oriole Postcard



The Ones For Trade
Larry Sheets 1989 Fleer #620



Larry Sheets 1989 Score #81


The Keeper
Larry Sheets 1991 Orioles Crown



Not a bad haul for a $3 beer. The Crown of course makes its way to the collection, but all else is available if anyone needs.

Oh...when I got home today, another empty mailbox. I am convinced my mailman is stealing from me.

1 comment:

  1. Cool score. I had something similar last year when Charlie Hayes and Darryl Strawberry appeared at a bbq joint in Manhattan. Straw was pretty cool. Hayes was late and rushed through signing.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete