The Quest

The Baltimore Orioles have been in town since '54 and have had over 900 men don their uniform. My goal is to obtain a signed card of each player. If you have something I need, or see something you want, don't be shy, we can make a deal.

Collection Statistics

Total Players 877/977 = 89.25%
1991 Orioles Crown Set
Total Players 309/465 = 66.45%
Alive Players 274/369 = 74.25

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Talk About Your All-Time Backfire

I have done my best to steer my son toward my passion of baseball.  His first word was "ball" and he continues to be obsessed with playing ball.  He recognizes the Oriole Bird from my hat, and hearing a child say "O-we-ol" is heart melting.  At a year and a half he could recognize Cal Ripken from posters.  I couldn't be happier.

In an effort to bring my love of baseball into parenting, I bought a few things from Target to use as rewards.  Toilet training is difficult and any incentive is a welcome one.  Candy works too well but stickers are fun and don't set a bad precedent.

So I bought a pack of 2014 Topps Stickers to use in the Potty.  It was riddled with Yankees players.  At first I was bummed but quickly realized the only place for a Yankee should be the bathroom.

For something a little different I also snagged a 2013 Topps Big League Mini pack to give him a new baseball toy.  I got this guy:

In case you can't tell, it's Derek Jeter.  The epicenter of my dislike for the Yankees.  Yuck.  Gross.

Time to throw it out right.  Nope.  My son loves it and even referred to it as "his Dad."  Several times.

Good thing he has the attention span of a two-year old.  I will be leaving this guy in a restaurant in the near future

7 comments:

  1. I don't know... this morning when I dressed him in an Orioles t-shirt, he said, "No, that's nasty!" I've never even heard him use that word before--maybe he's going over to the other side? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take that back. You take that back right now.

      Delete
  2. You gotta float the sticker in the toilet as a target!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my septic could handle it, that's a good idea.

      Delete
  3. Great post. I sure hope your son ends up being an Orioles fan. There's enough Yankees fans out there already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. This is exactly the reason I picked all the Cowboys cards out of the stack when I let my son sort through them to choose a favorite football team. It's okay that he doesn't like my favorite team, but I won't be raising a Cowboys fan. You can try to dissuade him, but in my experience there is nothing quite as stubborn as a toddler who's made up his mind. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete